NFL Draft Recap: First Round
By Scott McInnerney
MOBILE, AL – The first round of the 2018 NFL Draft is in the books, and surprising picks were made across the board.
From the No. 1 overall pick in Baker Mayfield to the final pick of the first round, Lamar Jackson, the draft was not what experts projected just a week ago.
The Cleveland Browns selected Heisman Trophy winner QB Baker Mayfield with the first pick, and Ohio State CB Denzel Ward with the fourth pick. Penn State RB Shaquon Barkley went second to the New York Giants, the New York Jets picked USC QB Sam Darnold third overall and Bradley Chubb, the DE from NC State, went fifth to the Denver Broncos.
Ten players from the SEC were drafted in the first round, which is the most of any conference. Four players from Alabama were chosen in the first round.
Alabama safety Minkah Fitzpatrick, defensive tackle Da’Ron Payne, linebacker Rashaan Evans, and wide receiver Calvin Ridley all went in the first round. The Miami Dolphins picked Fitzpatrick with the 11th pick, Payne went 13th to the Washington Redskins, Evans was picked 22nd by the Tennessee Titans, and the Falcons took Ridley 26th.
The second and third rounds of the 2018 NFL Draft continue Friday at 6 p.m. and rounds four through seven will take place Saturday at 11 a.m. Players like South Alabama safety Jeremy Reaves and Troy quarterback Brandon Silvers are still up for grabs.
Below is a full list of all the picks from Thursday night’s first round picks.
- Cleveland Browns – Baker Mayfield (Oklahoma, QB)
- New York Giants – Shaquon Barkley (Penn State, RB)
- New York Jets – Sam Darnold (USC, QB)
- Cleveland Brown – Denzel Ward (Ohio State, CB)
- Denver Broncos – Bradley Chubb (NC State, DE)
- Indianapolis Colts – Quenton Nelson (Notre Dame, G)
- Buffalo Bills – Josh Allen (Wyoming, QB)
- Chicago Bears – Roquan Smith (Georgia, LB)
- San Francisco 49ers – Mike McGlinchey (Notre Dame, OT)
- Arizona Cardinals – Josh Rosen (UCLA, QB)
- Miami Dolphins – Minkah Fitzpatrick (Alabama, S)
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Vita Vea (Washington, DT)
- Washington Redskins – Da’Ron Payne (Alabama, DT)
- New Orleans Saints – Marcus Davenport (UTSA, DE)
- Oakland Raiders – Kolton Miller (UCLA, OT)
- Buffalo Bills – Tremaine Edmunds (Virginia Tech, LB)
- Los Angeles Chargers – Derwin James (Florida State, S)
- Green Bay Packers – Jaire Alexander (Louisville, CB)
- Dallas Cowboys – Leighton Vander Esch (Boise State, LB)
- Detroit Lions – Frank Ragnow (Arkansas, C)
- Cincinnati Bengals – Billy Price (Ohio State, C)
- Tennessee Titans – Rashaan Evans (Alabama, LB)
- New England Patriots – Isaiah Wynn (Georgia, OT)
- Carolina Panthers – D. J. Moore (Maryland, WR)
- Baltimore Ravens – Hayden Hurst (South Carolina, TE)
- Atlanta Falcons – Calvin Ridley (Alabama, WR)
- Seattle Seahawks – Rashaad Penny (San Diego State, RB)
- Pittsburgh Steelers – Terrell Edmunds (Virginia Tech, S)
- Jacksonville Jaguars – Taven Bryan (Florida, DT)
- Minnesota Vikings – Mike Hughes (UCF, CB)
- New England Patriots – Sony Michel (Georgia, RB)
- Baltimore Ravens – Lamar Jackson (Louisville, QB)
For more on the 2018 NFL Draft, be sure to tune in to Sports Drive on WNSP weekday afternoons from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
next post: A Look Ahead: WNSP’s Kentucky Derby Previewprevious post: It was another tough night for the Big XII conference