The sports-minded data slicers at Facebook have again released a fun map that shows how our country’s allegiances break down when it comes to NFL fandom.
There aren’t too many big surprises here. The Green Bay Packers rule Wisconsin. Seahawks mania is running wild through the Pacific Northwest. The Patriots do indeed own New England.
Still, there are a few fun things to note:
• Facebook broke this map down by county and awarded each team ownership of a particular county if it had the most “likes” within that area. The only team not to own a plurality? The New York Jets, which apparently got drowned out by their big blue neighbors in every metro-area precinct. Better luck next year, green.
• Kentucky is the biggest battleground as the Bengals, Titans, Steelers, Colts, Cowboys and Packers all share space. Iowa and Florida are also similarly divided with five teams vying for area affections.
• Alaska and Hawaii are single-minded football colonies, throwing their non-contiguous weight behind the Seahawks and 49ers, respectively.
• Los Angeles still belongs to the Raiders, data that backs up Frank Schwab’s bold prediction that the Silver and Black will be returning south by the end of the year.
• The Dallas Cowboys truly prove to be America’s team with wins in 21 states. Denver’s second on the list with 10 states, followed by Pittsburgh (seven) and New England (six).
What area stands out to you?